Powered by Blogger.

Food for the Soul: You Are What You Eat


I am sure you have heard the quote, You are what you eat! We usually hear this in terms of our health. When we eat unhealthy food, we are sure to fill our body with toxins, harmful fats, preservatives, sodium and sugar. But when we make healthy choices, we will feel good, look good, have more energy and overall healthier.

A fitting "food picture" lol
Anali and Hanna enjoying a crepe!
This principle also applies to our everyday life. In a practical aspect, you are what you eat. If we listen to worldly music, watch television, movies, etc, we are creating an appetite for the world. We are developing a food palette for worldliness and ultimately ungodliness.

God wants us to be holy. Job said, “I made a covenant with mine eyes…” (Job 31:1) We have to be careful what we allow ourselves to hear, say and see. Personally I do not watch television or movies at all. I was saved from the world, and ungodliness. I know what types of things we can entertain, crave and desire just by watching television and movies. I know what types of unrighteousness and deception that can creep into our mind when listening to worldly music. God help us not to love the world, but to develop an appetite for godliness!

“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.” (1 John 2:15-16)
Young ladies at my church. The one on the far right
is a beautiful new covert! She is a blessing!!

If we hang out with friends who don’t want to live for God, and who are full of negativity, we too will start to get a bad attitude. Misery loves company. If we spend all of our time with depressed people who are down on life and down on God, it is only a matter of time before this becomes normal. That is definitely not something you want to ingest!

“Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. “ (1 Corinthians 15:33)

Having fun with encouraging, uplifting and hilarious friends! 

You know those people who you avoid because when you ask, Hey, how are you? They start a laundry list of complaints? Beware! When I complain my husband asks me if I would like to put my complaints into the “complaint box” for later. Or I can take a number because he doesn't really want to hear my list of complaints. lol! That is my cue that I am getting on the negative side. We have the truth, we have the Holy Ghost, and we are living the best and blessed life with the Lord on our side!

Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.” (Philippians 4:4)

If we look to the world for the latest trends and fashion, just to fit in, before we know it we will start to look like the world. Trust me, a woman can wear a skirt and still look totally worldly. Now I am not against shopping in malls, or having nice things- but if our goal is to look like what we saw on the runway, or the latest magazines, what is the difference between us and the world? God wanted his people to be set apart. I used to be Baptist and I was as worldly as someone who had never been to church. I was always in the latest fashion. I spent tons of money on clothes. Tight clothes, short skirts, low necklines, etc. I didn’t have an understanding that when you are a Christian, you aren’t supposed to look like everyone else. But when I got really hungry for God, you know who I noticed as Christians for the first time? A group of young, Apostolic girls who dressed modest in high school. There was something beautiful, simple and special about them. I could feel it every time they walked by. They won me to God. And in time, they won me to truth. 
This beautiful friend played a large role in being
a witness to me when I got to college! Mrs. Adaria Torres

Never underestimate the witness you are when you are set apart. It isn’t just about covering up- we need the spirit of holiness so that we can be a light in darkness.

“ Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:13-16)
My husband and I after being in church a few months!

Anyone feel like adjusting their palette? It is a heart matter and it varies from person to person. We all have struggles and things that we have to continually put on the altar. I pray daily, Lord create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me. It is so easy to get in the flow of life, and forget about being in tune to the Spirit of God. At the end of the day, our goal is to be pleasing to Him. Our goal is to be saved! God help us to be contentious, to obey when you deal with us, to be obedient to your Spirit and to live according to your word.

No comments :

Post a Comment